Partner Visa

If you have been in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident for more than 12 months, or if you are married to an Australian citizen or permanent resident you are generally eligible to apply for a “partner visa” to remain in Australia. There are two types of partner visas, the subclass 309/100 for offshore applicants and the 820/801 for onshore applicants.  If you are in Australia and eligible to apply for the visa onshore you will then be granted a bridging visa that allows you to wait in the country during the processing time. If you apply from overseas you will have to wait for the temporary subclass 309 visa to be granted before coming to Australia.